Facebook’s API + FBConnect is great but it has some severe limitations. Notably, it doesn’t expose all the functionality available on the Facebook site. Tonight in particular, I wanted to be able to copy a dump of my friends’ names and phone numbers off the site to load into a fresh cell phone. Unfortunately, looking at the API this isn’t possible.
Never fear – Greasemonkey provides enough of a hook into Firefox that it would be possible to write a UserScript to accomplish this loans-cash.net.
Continuing beyond this point is probably against the Facebook TOS and will probably severely void your warranty.
You have been warned.
The following describes how to use this userscript to extract your Facebook “Phonebook”. It produces of a CSV of your friends’ names and phone numbers. Fair warning – this is a rough prototype and does almost no error handling. Also, since the “Phone” field is a free text field I can’t promise people will have formatted their numbers in any sane fashion. But either way it’s a good start to revering lost numbers.
So here is what you need to do to use the script:
1. Install Greasemonkey – https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
2. Follow these instructions to install the script – http://userscripts.org/about/installing
Edit: The script is also on Userscripts at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/43681
3. Navigate over to http://m.facebook.com/friends.php? (You’ll have to login)
4. Answer yes to the prompt and sit back – the script will move through your phonebook and eventually dump you a CSV of the results.
5. Copy/Paste the CSV wherever you want.
6. Un-install the Greasemonkey script.
So that’s it, one less walled garden to worry about. And hopefully one less “I lost my cellphone!” event/group on facebook!