#sonata

We’ve worked on a number of projects which require the UI to be translated using the standard Symfony2 translator and YAML files. Recently we came into a few projects which also required different entities to have certain fields translated. Most of our applications we build use Sonata Admin for the admin backend so making sure we could integrate with it nicely was important. Looking around on Google and Stackoverflow it was clear that there are several different ways to go about getting your entities translated from the Gedmo Translatable, KnpLabs Translatable, to A2LiX I18n. Many of the packages have different takes on the “proper” way translation should be setup for the project. There are other nuances between each package such as supporting a fallback locale.

In the end we settled on using the KnpLabs Translatable bundle as it ticked all the boxes we wanted in functionality including fallback locale and a nice integration with the form (more on that later in this post). Installing the bundle follows the standard add it to composer and enable it in the kernel. From there setting up an entity was pretty straight forward:

Taking a look at how it actually works. First in the main entity you use the Translatable trait. Then in the translation entity (which is your original Entity with the name Translation appended to it) you add what fields you want translated, as well as the Translation trait. From there you can do something like $entity->translate(‘en’)->getName(). In our case we had a fairly large application already built and having to go through everywhere to update it to $entity->translate(…)->getXXX() would of been a huge pain and time waste. Luckily there is a fairly easy way to get around this. Using PHP’s magic __call method you can intercept all the calls so that it will go through the translations automatically:

The reason that it checks if arguments were passed in is that the Symfony2 property accessor doesn’t support passing arguments. We wanted to use it though when no arguments were passed since twig would otherwise first try on entity.name a call of “$entity->name()” which would fail as no name exists. You could wrap a few checks to make sure the method exists, instead since majority of our gets from twig do not pass any parameters we opted to just use the property accessor if no arguments were passed. This fixed the problem of {{ entity.name }} in Twig causing an error that the callback doesn’t exist and causing a 500. We ended up making our own Translatable trait which included this special __call override.

The final piece of advice on getting the translations working is when you add new translations to make sure you call $entity->mergeNewTranslations(). If you don’t you’ll be confused on why for it seems that none of your translations are being saved. This is documented, I just had looked over it first.

Now our second goal was a nice integration with Sonata Admin and any other forms we needed to use the translatable fields on. Luckily the A2LiX Translation Form Bundle already existed and we went forward with using it. Using the bundle was very easy. It was a simple as installing it, configuring it(just indicating what locales you want to use), and then updating the different form fields/admin setups. One thing to note is in the documentation it uses $form->add(‘translations’,’a2lix_translations’) as a bare minimum use case. At first, like me, you may think that the “translations” field is one of your field names. In fact that is used to load all translatable fields from your entity. It drops it into a nice tabbed input box. If you want to customize the field types and other options you can pass an array of options to set each field up in terms of labels, field type, etc. All in all it was really a huge time saver to have this bundle and was very easy to use from both a developer and user standpoint.

For the most part this is how we went about enabling translations on different entities in our application. In my next post I’ll write up the steps we used to migrate all the data from our existing entities to the new translations.

Update: My post on how to migrate your data to translatable entities is now available.

Posted In: General

Tags: , , , ,