Recently I was doing a fairly common task on Symfony2, logging in a user programatically. Often applications do this on registration, via auto login links, complex login forms, etc. This time I was using an auto login link that expires that users get via email. I came across the issue that it seemed the first time the page loaded I was logged in properly but then as soon as I redirect or navigated anywhere I was logged out.
Here is the basic workflow we were using:
The issue was somewhere between step 3 and 4 something was amiss, if I eliminated step 3 the profiler toolbar showed I was properly logged in as expect, as soon as I redirect it showed me as unauthenticated. Here is the code for the most part:
Fairly simple, used a ParamConverter to convert the incoming request to an entity. After a while of troubleshooting, I noticed that the ‘$user’ in this case wasn’t an actual Entity, it was a ProxyClass that Doctrine2 had generated. I had read that Doctrine2 ProxyClasses when serialized don’t properly bring over some of their attributes, namely the ID. This caused an issue with FOSUserBundle as the UserProvider looks up the user by their ID. Since the ID was blank this kept causing it to not find my user on the next page load.
There are a number of ways you can fix this, two that come to mind is to override the ‘refreshUser’ method of the UserProvider to look up by username as that is properly serialized from Proxy objects. Instead, as this was only for this one action and I wanted to be more efficient I switched the query to do a join to the user from the get go. This means when you do getUser Doctrine will return the actual Entity and not a Proxy class. Here is my update annotation:
For more on how to use joins and entity repository specific consult the current manual.